Accounting and Finance
Senior Level (5+ years experience)
GIZ- Internal Vacancy Announcement #105/2018
GIZ-SURED ISFM Project
As a provider of international cooperation services for sustainable development and international education work, GIZ – Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit – is dedicated to building a future worth living around the world.
We have over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including rural and economic development, education and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security. Together with our partners, we work to deliver flexible, effective and cost-effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions. Of our 18,260 employees in some 120 countries, almost 70 per cent are national personnel working in the field.
As a public-benefit German federal enterprise, we are committed to meeting our clients’ high standards with regard to transparency and accountability. German and European values are central to our work. The German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) is our main commissioning party. European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and national governments benefit from our services, too.
In Ethiopia GIZ has been implementing development programmes on behalf of the German government for over 40 years jointly with our national partners. The focus of our work in the country is on vocational education, sustainable use of natural resources, land management and food security, biodiversity and forestry. Further programmes enhance the development of a sustainable textile sector and renewable energies.
GIZ-SURED (Sustainable Use of Rehabilitated Land for Economic Development 2018–2020) will be focusing on the economic development and sustainable utilization of rehabilitated areas. Against this background, GIZ Ethiopia is looking to recruit Accountant for GIZ-SURED ISFM Project as specified:
Application deadline: 25 June 2018
Required Candidates: One
Place of Work: Hawassa
He/She is responsible for managing and developing the management accounting function to ensure the maintenance of sound, relevant accounting management information systems and efficient and accurate processing of data to the computerized accounting systems. He/She is responsible for the:
- Implementation and monitoring of an overall smooth and correct functioning of the complete accounting system of the program in line with GIZ procedures;
- Effective coordination with colleagues at the country office and GIZ-SURED Program Office IN Hawassa in matters related to financial transactions processing;
- Ensures that the provided accounting services within the section are done correctly according to GIZ accounting procedures and guidelines.
1. Carries out accounting on the basis of GIZ accounting software.
2. Fills up and disburses check books as per agreed deadlines.
3. Prepares and controls monthly project journal/financial report.
4. Prepares vouchers for book-keeping, indicating their cost classification
5. Handle local subsidy payments and settlement for ISFM woredas.
6. Runs errands for the project, e.g. delivery of letters/messages, payment of bills
7. Assist in effecting field level cash payments and timely settlements
8. Makes minor purchase and assists in procurement processes.
9. Assist in arrangement of workshop and training venues and undertakes.
B. Administrative Function:
1. Verifies correctness of vouchers, including supporting documents.
2. Follow up that log books are updated and presented for accounts treatments.
3. Prepare monthly fuel consumption report.
4. Handling VATs, tax declaration and WHT.
5. Calculates daily trip allowance and staff overtime when applicable.
6. Comply with, and ensure that staff benefit comply with GIZ-Office policies and procedures.
C. Financial Administration;
1. Maintain proper and confidential filing of financial related documents, office asset register and project inventory list.
2. Prepares monthly and annual budgets and tracking variances, submits journal to SURED-SNNPR Administration and Finance Head and all documents to GIZ Accounting Office after approval from the Regional Program Manager.
3. Submits books of accounts and reports to SURED-SNNPR the Administration and Finance Head/Regional Program Manager for final approvals.
4. Assists in monitoring fund expenditure in accordance with budget (cost type & cost category)
5. Responsible for the financial administration, such as cash transfer, disbursement, recording of cash book, bank book, receipts preparation.
6. Reviews travel claims submitted by staff for final approval & prepares the payments.
7. Confirm bank balance before the deadline to the bank.
8. Prepares and controls monthly project journal/financial report.
9. Preparation of all documents for internal audit.
10. Monitors the daily cash flow records and the level of liquidity.
11. Monitors costs and expenses monthly.
12. Checks incoming invoices for hotel, telephone, cell phone, internet and other fees and arrange for payment.
13. Retain cash count sheets and monthly prepared bank reconciliations.
14. Handling settlements (checking and verifying each receipt – whether it is done according to the agreement or not).
15. Reports financial status to Senior Finance Head & Contract officer and Regional Program Manager
Qualifications and Experience:
· University degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Management or related field.
· A minimum of 5 years relevant occupational experience; expertise in the necessary field or equivalent combination of both
· Personal and social competency
· Exhibits conscientiousness, reliability, integrity, loyalty, commitment and perseverance.
· Be Flexible, willing to learn, and approach challenges constructively
· Have higher tolerance for frustration and able to work under pressure, has strong team orientation, and cooperation.
· Excellent communication skills on different hierarchical levels, including conflict management skills.
· Excellent knowledge of English and regional language, written and spoken.
· Good working knowledge of standard computer applications such as MS Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their application letter along with their non-returnable recent CV to the following address:
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
P. O. Box 100009
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Fax: 011 554 0764
The name of the position and region for which the application is made should be clearly marked on the envelope or on the fax applications. Only short listed candidates will be contacted
Applications from qualified women are encouraged.
|Job Category||Accounting And Finance Jobs|